For a detailed look at one of my side missions, please watch the Rooftop Gardens Side Mission Overview video.
I joined Ubisoft Leamington in 2017, enabling me to have the unique privilege of working in a small, intimate studio (fewer than 50 people when I joined) on a huge AAA title – Tom Clancy’s The Division 2.
On The Division 2, I was responsible for:
- A portion of the open world (the East half of Downtown East), responsible for research, planning and implementation of all the content within that zone
- Approaching release, I was part of a team specialising in side missions, where I was responsible for final polish and bugfixing on several missions
- After release I worked on two Classified Assignments, a series of eight downloadable missions included as part of the game’s Year 1 Pass, with a focus on narrative, collectables and puzzle-solving
In general my role at Ubisoft consists of:
- Researching locations to find suitable places for activities and collectables in the open world, based on the location’s unique appeal, gameplay potential and technical constraints
- Collating information into design documentation and presenting these to leads and directors for approval
- Whiteboxing layouts for activity locations (using the Snowdrop level editor) with a focus on combat, adhering to design guidelines and working with environment artists to ensure the design intentions do not clash with art direction
- Setting up the logic of activities, including scripting missions (spawning enemies, updating objectives and checkpoints, triggering VO and other sequences, etc) and puzzles
- Presenting work to directors in order to gain feedback and sign-off
- Iterating on all content to adapt to changing requirements and director feedback
- Working with environment artists, technical artists, technical level designers and narrative designers (often situated in other studios worldwide) to ensure all content runs smoothly, adheres to art direction, and makes sense in terms of narrative and world logic
- Pushing for constant and open communication with other studios and departments to ensure we are aligned with direction and keeping the quality high
- Maintaining the health of my content, including bugfixing and polish