This is an old project, from my first year of University. It’s the first video game I ever made and it’s still one of my favourites, despite being extremely rough around the edges. It was the main project for the Multimedia II module, where, in pairs, we were tasked with creating a game using Adobe Director. Despite the technologies we were asked to use, I was thrilled to have made a game by the end of my first year, and the experience definitely gave me the game design bug.
If you wish to play the game, you can do so on this page. It requires the Shockwave plugin, and is at least 5 years old, so may not load correctly. If this is the case, I have provided some screenshots and animated gifs in the gallery at the bottom of the post.
The major project of my final year was for my dissertation. I chose to research the effectiveness of dynamic learning algorithms in providing an adaptive, real-time finite state machine in a game environment. After doing a literature review to get up to speed on Bayesian networks, artificial neural networks and genetic algorithms, I chose to focus my research on the latter. I felt genetic algorithms could offer a working solution, and I was interested in programming one and seeing for myself exactly how it would work.
Week 10 marks an exciting first for my Game a Weeks; happy collaboration. Please indulge in Go Right:
The controls are explained in-game. If you absolutely have to mute the audio, press the M key.
I’m going to start this post off by giving a huge shout out and thank you to the four other people who contributed to the game.
Tom Lamey is the enigmatic hero responsible for the lovely character design and great spritesheets that bring the protagonist to life. He also advised me on the general look of the game
For the music I counted on the talents of the insatiable Jack Drewry. He brought together a couple of rag tag musicians to aid him, collectively they’re known as Squid Tooth, but separately they go by their birth names of Jack, Laurie and Rowan.
I hope you agree that these four all helped raise the bar on my games with their contributions. I’ll talk more about how it all came together below.
And now for something completely different:
Arrow keys to try a slide, space bar to confirm it. Imagine it’s on a phone screen; pressing right swipes right, and so on.
Some bad news: this game is going to be incredibly colour-blind unfriendly. I wanted to have letters on the cards to give you a fighting chance but I ran out of time. I’m so sorry.
In third year we had an entire module dedicated to the different components that make up a complete game engine. The assessment for this module was based entirely around a solo project, where we had to choose one aspect of a game engine and develop it. I chose to develop a 2D physics engine, as I was interested in understanding how each step of the process worked, from the simulation of rigid bodies through to collision detection and resolution.
Week 8 and I was once again busy with real life, so you’ve got another one of these weird lo-fi physics “games”:
As you can see this marks the glorious return of “the bird” from week 2, because why not. Not much to talk about this time to be honest
Week 7! Bit of a mixed bag this week.
A small one this week as I have been extremely busy sorting out my impending move. Regardless, I still got a game of sorts finished. Try it out here:
This is the fifth week of my Game a Week challenge. I didn’t have a clear goal this week but things really came together once I started experimenting on Friday, and this is the result:
The paddle follows the cursor, use a and d (or left and right cursor keys) to tilt the paddle slightly. Use the ball to destroy the blocks! I’ve clearly taken inspiration from the Breakout (or Arkanoid) series, but added a physics-y twist.
A small update for a small game. I was busy pretty much all week so threw this together in two hours on Sunday; guess the reason why after giving it a play:
Yep, I graduated this week so I was super busy with that and entertaining my family who came to visit. So I used that as the theme and tried to think of the most lightweight idea possible so I could still make a game without having to stress about keeping up with it all week. And this is the result!